Sunday, January 20, 2013

Miss Representation


Warning...Again: the following contains opinions that may not be shared by everyone. Educated arguments to these opinions as opposed to hurtful words are advised.

       
       Well, apparently my class still has to write something about gender and gender roles so here I go.
       The documentary, Miss Representation, that my class is still watching made the claim that most women shown in the media have no power like the men do. Or if women do have power their bad girls who can beat everyone up and wear tight clothing. The documentary said most women were shown as these bad girls, the cutsie damsel in distress, or women looking for love in a ‘chick flick’. The documentary does acknowledge Oprah and some other women but says that these women in the media are few. I kind of have to agree with that.
       What I don’t agree with is the political section in the documentary. At one point a woman says something like ‘if there were more women in politics, the government would actually get something done’. I think it was a different lady who said that women make better politicians. I have to say not necessarily. What makes someone a better politician is their ability to do the job not their gender.
       Another point, someone insinuated that girls vote for girls and guys vote for guys. They showed a clip of a girl running for a president position but losing. Then the documentary reported that most of the girls voted for a guy. The documentary seemed to say that if the girls voted for a girl then for once a girl would be in high power. I can’t agree with that. I would vote for her if I thought she had the skills and was right for the job not just because she’s a female like me.
(306 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment